Skip to page content

Chevron B4 Owner's Site

The Chevron B4 Discovered

Restoration Begins - and Reveals Some Unusual Features

Copying the design on Richard's car, I began some reconstruction work on the frame and started by re-fabricating the toe panel, which had received damage on my car as a result of a front offside shunt at some time in its earlier life. It had also been modified by my brother as part of the road car preparation. I noticed that the toe panel on Richard's car was a different design from the one on mine - his was stepped across the full width to provide clearance for the upper wishbone mounts. Instead, mine had small elliptical pockets fabricated local to each wishbone mount. Initially, I remanufactured the panel to the same design as Richard's but later discarded it when I had a better appreciation of the history of my car and remade the panel to the original design [photograph 8].

I also laboriously removed, by hand, all of the paint from the frame as it had been liberally coated with light blue Hammerite paint by my brother as a preservative. He had also hand-painted numerous other parts which I later stripped back to the original finish [photographs 9 and 10].

they were all puzzled by the chassis number CH/DBE/ 28 which was amateurishly engraved on the chassis plate

The bare frame was then protected with primer in preparation for the refitting of the panels [photograph 11].

A Chassis Number Puzzle

I had become aware of the desirability of B8s and, wishing to retain the originality of my car, I decided to suspend any further work until I had a better understanding of the model. I wrote a letter to Classic and Sports Car magazine which appeared in the October 1988 issue, listing a number of the unique details, including the chassis number.

Initially the response was encouraging and I received help and advice from a number of Chevron enthusiasts, all of whom were very interested to hear of a B8 which had resurfaced after 16 years' absence, but they were all puzzled by the chassis number CH/DBE/ 28 which was amateurishly engraved on the chassis plate. I had to agree that the numbering on my chassis plate was not professionally stamped - it was just scratched into the surface. The only way to resolve some of these anomalies was to trace the previous owners. I had already tried to contact D&A Shells and Chassis from the telephone number and the address on the original receipt, but no trace of the company could be found.